Saturday, September 10, 2011

For My Dog Maggie

This blog will be different from my others because it will be exclusively dedicated to my dog, Maggie. Sadly, this past summer, Maggie died after living a long and happy doggie life. Any dog owner will say the same thing...we know that are dogs are not equal to humans, but they always hold a special place in our hearts, and we're saddened when they're gone. Those of us that also happen to be writers (or aspiring ones like me), can't help but write about our canines' crazy, silly, and adorable moments. Just take a look at "Marley and Me" or "The Art of Racing in the Rain." After Maggie was gone, my dad had suggested that I write about all the great stories we have about her. I had thought about it, but unfortunately, writer's block has been plaguing me most of the summer. Finally, it seems like the fog is beginning to lift, so I figured what better place to get my creative juices flowing again than to write about my dog?

Now, before I start posting about Maggie stories, I think I owe it to you all to explain the title of this blog. Maggie had many nicknames, but one of the first that she got was Monkey Dog. Being a beagle-mutt, she always got excited around food. There were times, however, when she would get so excited (and admittedly annoying), that she would make this funny noise when she was panting around the table. It's hard to put it to words, but the best way I can think to describe it is that she sounded like...well, a monkey. Before we knew it, the nickname had stuck. So, there you have it. Memoirs of a Monkey Dog. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment